A Polish airman feeding pigeons in George Square, c 1941. .
When Poland was overrun by the Germans in September 1939, many Polish servicemen escaped to Britain. The Polish First Army Corps, under the leadership of General Sikorski, was set up with its base in Scotland. The Scottish Polish Society was set up in 1941 to foster relations between the two countries and the Polish Army Choir and other Polish artistes performed in concerts at the Paramount Theatre and the Athenaeum Theatre in January 1941, in aid of the City of Glasgow War Relief Fund.
After the war, Poland was occupied by the Soviet Union and many Poles chose to remain in Scotland. They were joined by others who managed to leave their homeland. Over the years they became integrated into Scottish society. In 1954 the Polish Social and Educational Society, also known as the Sikorski Polish Club, was established in Glasgow to meet the needs of the Polish community. The club celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 2004.
Reference: Boxed photographs section
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Kevin Morrison Collection
airmen, Athenaeum Theatre, City of Glasgow War Relief Fund, clubs, immigrants, immigration, Paramount Theatre, pigeons, Poles, Polish Army Choir, Polish Social and Educational Society, Scottish Polish Society, Second World War, Sikorski Polish Club