A diploma in cookery certificate from the West End Training School of Cookery, around 1900.
The West End School of Cookery was founded in 1878 and opened to the public on 29 October of that year. Its founder was Margaret Black (1830-1903), who had also been an instructress at the Glasgow School of Cookery and published many books on domestic science. In 1908 the School amalgamated with the Glasgow School of Cookery to form a Scottish Central Institution under the title the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated).
The School's first premises were at 2 Dalhousie Street, in the Corporation Galleries' building. Later premises included 346 Sauchiehall Street and 1 Scott Street. Students were able to study and train for diplomas in cookery, housewifery and laundry, and for certificates for housewives, housekeepers and cooks.
Reference: GB 1847 QC
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Archives
certificates, colleges, diplomas, Dough School, Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science, Glasgow School of Cookery, housewifery, West End School of Cookery, women's education