Staff and students from the Glasgow School of Cookery at their tea room at the International Exhibition held in Kelvingrove Park in 1888. The School won the tender to provide a tea room close to the Women's Industries Section.
The tea room attracted adverse comment about its prices. A week after the opening of the exhibition, The Bailie commented: "Why should the teetotal refreshment contractors in the exhibition increase their ordinary prices by 50 and 100 per cent? Neither at Mackenzie's nor in the Bodega is there any increase on the outside tariff. In the Indian tea rooms, the Bishop's Palace Cafe and the tea rooms of the School of Cookery, the price for a cup of tea is 3d and 4d. What would be thought of the licensed houses if 3d and 4d were charged for a glass of beer, and 4d and 6d for a glass of the hard stuff?"
However, four weeks later the same journal was forced to admit: "The Glasgow School of Cookery tea rooms are unmistakably popular. At different times a policeman has had to be stationed at the entrance door to regulate the admission of patrons."
Reference: GB 1847 QC
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Archives
exhibitions, Glasgow School of Cookery, International Exhibition, 1888, refreshments, students, tea rooms, teachers, women, Women's Industries Section