This photograph shows the Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science building in Woodlands, c 1936. The private houses in Park Drive which were taken over and added to the college building, are on the left.
In June 1912 a site was looked at on the corner of Park Drive and Park Avenue and the draft plans to build on this site were submitted to the College Governors on 6 December 1912. Final approval for the building was announced on 4 June 1913. Before work was completed on the new building it was taken over by the Red Cross and used as a hospital for the duration of the First World War.
The first class was held in the building on 29 April 1919. Transfer to the new premises was complete by 26 May, although there was outstanding building work to be done. 7 Park Drive was purchased on 28 August 1923 although it could not be used until the sitting tenant moved out in May 1933. 8 Park Drive was purchased in May 1927 and eventually became a hostel for students in September 1928 and union facilities were completed in 1929. 9 Park Drive became part of College property in May 1934.
Reference: GB 1847 QC
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Archives
colleges, cookery, Dough School, First World War, Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science, hospitals, Red Cross, student halls of residence, student hostels, student unions