The exterior of Grove Street Institute, Woodside, photographed in 1895 at the time of the opening of the new wing on the corner of Balnain Street. To the right is the original institute, which was an Evangelical Christian hall. The new wing provided shelter for the homeless and contained a dispensary, doctor's consulting room, gymnasium and library.
Grove Street Institute was founded in 1859 and the original halls were erected in 1865 at a cost of £10,000, met by public subscription. The Institute was managed by a board of trustees and described itself as "an unsectarian mission organisation... an auxiliary to the churches of all denominations." The costs of running the institute were met from voluntary contributions. Evening services were held daily, and excursions organised for people of all ages. The Institute was run on strict Temperance principles.
The buildings were demolished in the 1970s.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 6407
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
charities, charity, evangelicalism, evangelism, evangelists, Grove Street Institute, halls, homeless shelters, hostels, missions, streetscenes, temperance