A group of miners from Daldowie Colliery on a charabanc outing, 1920s. Their clothing suggests that inclement weather was expected, which might have resulted in a vote to stop the roofless vehicle at the nearest hostelry.
Daldowie Colliery was owned by the Glasgow Coal Co in the 1920s. The company also owned the nearby Kenmuirhill Colliery at Mount Vernon. Figures for 1918 show that 144 miners were employed underground and fifty-four on the surface. In 1896, when the colliery had been owned by Dunn Bros of Broomhouse, the figures were 251 and fifty-six respectively.
Daldowie was one of a large number of coal mines in the East End of Glasgow at the beginning of the 20th century, when it was estimated that about 10 per cent of the male working population in Shettleston and Tollcross was employed in mining. But the pits soon became exhausted, and by 1930 almost all had closed.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 6161
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
charabancs, coal miners, coal mines, coal mining, collieries, Daldowie Colliery, Dunn Bros, excursions, Glasgow Coal Co, Kenmuirhill Colliery