A ward in the Glasgow Samaritan Hospital for Women in St James Street in Kingston, 1890. The hospital had occupied premises in South Cumberland Street in Hutchesontown before moving to this former private house.
The aims of the hospital were set out in the constitution and rules published in 1891: "to provide for the medical and surgical treatment of women afflicted with disease, and more especially with disease peculiar to their sex, and to provide a Dispensary and furnish advice and medicine to those who cannot be received into the Hospital; to promote the advancement of medical and surgical science with reference to diseases of women, and to provide for the efficient instruction of students in this department of medical knowledge; to educate and train women in the special duties of women's nurses."
The hospital moved to permanent premises in Coplaw Street in Govanhill in 1896, and became the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women with the granting of a charter in 1907.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 6063
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
dispensaries, doctors, Glasgow Samaritan Hospital for Women, hospitals, medicine, Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, surgery, wards, women patients, women's hospitals