Emotional scenes at the funeral of twenty-two miners who lost their lives in Cadder No 15 Pit as the result of a fire that broke out on 3 August 1913. Most of the victims lived locally. This postcard view shows the funeral procession crossing the Forth and Clyde Canal at Lambhill Bridge on Balmore Road on its way to Lambhill Cemetery. The church on the left is St Agnes' Church.
Twenty-six men were finishing the "back shift" they had started on Sunday afternoon when the fire broke out. Fireman Charles Riley died attempting to warn the miners. Three men escaped by another passage and one, Michael McDonald, was found alive after 21 hours in the burning pit.
The mine belonged to the Carron Co of Falkirk. The Lanarkshire Coalmasters' Association was criticised for its failure to organise rescue brigades. A memorial stone was erected to those who perished.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 4226
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
Cadder Colliery, Cadder No 15 Pit, Carron Co, cemeteries, churches, coal mines, collieries, disasters, firemen, fires, Forth and Clyde Canal, funeral processions, funerals, graveyards, Lambhill Bridge, Lambhill Cemetery, Lanarkshire Coalmasters' Association, miners, mining, postcards, Roman Catholic churches, St Agnes' Church, swing bridges, tenements