The water tower and chapel at Leverndale Hospital in Crookston, photographed in 1975.
The Govan District Asylum at Hawkhead was built for the Govan District Lunacy Board and opened in 1895. The hospital had a capacity of 400 patients in 1895 and 520 by 1908. There was also a Govan Parochial Asylum at the Southern General Hospital site: this functioned as a reception and assessment unit for Hawkhead. Hawkhead became a Glasgow Corporation hospital in 1930 and joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The name Leverndale was adopted in place of Hawkhead in 1964. In the early 1970s a 120 bed psycho-geriatric unit was added and during the 1980s and 1990s the original asylum buildings were taken out of use and the hospital was re-configured around newer buildings occupying only part of the original site. Leverndale Hospital became the responsibility of the Greater Glasgow Community and Mental Health NHS Trust in 1993.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 942
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Research Collections, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
chapels, Govan District Lunacy Board, Govan Parochial Asylum, Greater Glasgow Community and Mental Health NHS Trust, Greater Glasgow Health Board, Hawkhead Asylum, Leverndale Hospital, mental health services, National Health Service, NHS, Southern General Hospital, water towers