Relaxing in Phoenix Park in Cowcaddens, 1955.
The park was laid out on the site of the former Phoenix Foundry in the 1890s and was cleared in the late 1950s, a few years after this photograph was taken. The fountain in the background, clearly no longer in working order, was made by the Phoenix Foundry. Further to the left is a small drinking fountain.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.369 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
benches, drinking fountains, fountains, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, parks, Phoenix Foundry, Phoenix Park, pigeons, shops, Thomas Edington & Sons