The Odeon Cinema in Renfield Street, 1955.
This cinema was designed by Verity & Beverly for the Paramount Corporation and opened on 31 December 1934. Lavishly decorated, it could accommodate 2,800 patrons, and it attracted the largest audiences for a Paramount cinema outside the USA. In 1939 Paramount sold its United Kingdom cinema chain to Odeon Cinemas. Odeon undertook substantial renovation work in the building in 1969-1970. It was sold it to developers in March 2003 and in 2004 it remains open as a cinema (managed by Odeon on a rental basis), but its future is uncertain.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.366 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
cinemas, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, neon lights, Odeon Cinemas, Paramount Cinema, Paramount Corporation, queues, Verity & Beverly