"The Shell" in Central Station, 1955.
This 15-inch Howitzer shell was made by William Beardmore & Co and converted into a charity collecting box after the First World War. It stood for many years in the middle of the station concourse and was a favourite meeting place for courting couples. The shell was removed from the centre of the concourse in 1966 and in 2004 stands by the toilets at the Gordon Street exit.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.364 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bars, concourses, destination boards, Glasgow Central Station, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Howitzer shells, John Menzies & Co, newsagents, public houses, pubs, Railbar, railway passengers, railway stations, shops, William Beardmore & Co