An Orange Walk leaving St Enoch Station, 1955. An original caption records that the Orangemen had just returned by train from Greenock.
Band members playing accordians and drums lead the procession out of the station into St Enoch Square, watched by a large crowd and a mounted policeman. The inscription on the drum to the right indicates that it belonged to a band from Belfast.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.358 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
accordians, banners, crowds, drums, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, horses, marches, mounted police, Orange Order, Orange Walks, orangeism, Orangemen, parades, police officers, railway stations, St Enoch Station