St Matthew's Highlanders' Memorial Church at 357-363 Bath Street, just to the west of the King's Theatre, viewed from Newton Street c 1955.
The church was designed by Salmon & Black and built c 1850 for a Free Church congregation. The congregation became United Free in 1900 and joined the Church of Scotland at the union of 1929. In 1941 St Matthew's joined with the Highlanders' Memorial to form St Matthew's Highlanders' Memorial.
The building was gutted by fire in 1952. The site was sold to the flamboyant businessman A E Pickard, who was criticised for a long delay in demolishing the ruins of the building. The congregation joined with Garscube Netherton to form Netherton St Matthew's.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.353 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Church of Scotland, churches, Disruption, Free Church, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Netherton St Matthew's Parish Church, Salmon & Black, St Matthew's Highlander's Memorial Parish Church, St Matthew's Parish Church, streetscenes, telephone boxes, United Free Church