An old cottage at 100 West Nile Street, 1955.
Notes accompanying the photograph state that the building was "once part of Hengler's Circus". Charles Hengler (1820-1887) set up a circus in London in 1848. In 1863 he took a lease on the Prince's Theatre, a derelict music hall built in 1849 in West Nile Street, and established a permanent base in Glasgow. Hengler enlarged the theatre in 1867 and rebuilt it ten years later, before finally selling the building to Her Majesty's Tax Commissioners in 1883. Hengler's Circus reopened in 1885 in new premises in Wellington Street.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.351 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
circuses, cottages, dustbins, gardens, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Hengler's Circus, Her Majesty's Tax Commissioners, Prince's Theatre, washing lines