Football on Glasgow Green, 1955.
Glasgow Corporation maintained a large number of football pitches at Fleshers' Haugh (off King's Drive). The pitches were surfaced with black ash and subsequently laid with red blaes, providing no more than a modest improvement on the former playing surface: the photograph illustrates perfectly just how dusty and unpleasant conditions could become! The blaes pitches were closed in 1992. In their place, the Glasgow Green Football Centre opened in 2000 with synthetic and grass pitches for 11-a-side, 7-a-side and 5-a-side football.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.350 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Fleshers' Haugh, football, football pitches, footballers, Glasgow Green, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, parks