Memorial (or Quincentenary) Gates on University Avenue, photographed by Hugh McNicholl in 1955.
The General Council of Glasgow University, composed of its graduates, gifted the gates in 1951 to celebrate the institution's first 500 years. The gates were officially opened in 1952 and are decorated with names of outstanding individuals connected with the University since 1451. The left gate pier is dated 1451 and is surmounted by a unicorn, while the right is dated 1951 and has a lion.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.327 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
gates, General Council of Glasgow University, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, lions, Memorial Gates, Memory Gates, Quincentenary Gates, unicorns, University of Glasgow buildings