A Saturday matinee at an Odeon cinema club for children, Shettleston, 1955.
Located in Amulree Street near Shettleston Road, the cinema was designed by James McKissack and built at a cost of £30,000. It opened in 1930 and was originally known as the Broadway. Odeon Cinemas bought the cinema in 1936. The building was converted to a Mecca bingo hall in 1967 and was demolished in 1995.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.326 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Broadway Cinema, children, children's cinema clubs, cinemas, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, matinees, Mecca Bingo Halls, Odeon Cinemas, Odeons, queues