Queen Street Station, 1955.
In 1953, an average of 8,345 passengers a day used Queen Street high level station, while 15,120 passengers used the low level station. Services for Helensburgh, the West Highland Line, Edinburgh and England via the east coast departed from the station. During the winter months Buchanan Street Station was closed on Sundays and its traffic was re-routed to Queen Street. Although the station had been described as a "fairy palace" when it opened in 1842, by the 1950s "many passengers saw Queen Street as a dismal dirty place to begin a journey". The station was modernised in 1965.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.325 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
advertisements, destination boards, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, passengers, Queen Street Station, railway stations, station concourses