Sailing up the Clyde, 1955.
After a summer pleasure cruise "doon the watter", this ship is returning to Glasgow Harbour. Straight ahead in the distance is the entrance to the Queen's Dock. The dock's distinctive hydraulic pumping house tower is on the left. A forest of cranes rise above Prince's Dock on the south bank of the river.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.322 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
cranes, cruises, day trips, docks, doon the watter, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hydraulic pumping stations, Prince's Dock, Pumphouse, quays, Queen's Dock, River Clyde, ships, towers, women