A bucket dredger and a hopper barge near the King George V Bridge, 1955.
The Clyde Navigation Trust was responsible for dredging the Clyde, to deepen, widen and maintain the channel along which ships sailed to and from Glasgow Harbour. In 1950 the Trust employed three bucket dredgers, eleven hopper barges (to transport the spoil out to sea for dumping), a tug, two self-propelled grab hoppers, a small dumb grab hopper and a number of punts. A new bucket dredger, the Cessnock, was added in June 1955.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.318 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bridges, bucket dredgers, Clyde Navigation Trust, Glasgow Harbour, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hopper barges, hoppers, King George V Bridge, River Clyde, ships