The River Kelvin at the Botanic Gardens, 1955.
The Ha'penny Bridge can be seen in the distance. Built to provide pedestrian access to Kirklee Railway Station, this footbridge got its name from the halfpenny charge levied on all those who used it. The iron bridge was swept away when the river flooded in 1994 and a wooden replacement was built in 2004.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.313 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Botanic Gardens, bridges, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Ha'penny Bridge, Kirklee Railway Station, River Kelvin