Two boys by the Ladywell, 1955.
The Ladywell is one of sixteen wells known to have existed in Glasgow in 1726. However, by the early 19th century there were fears that the water would become contaminated with the opening of the Necropolis on the hillside above, and the water supply was discontinued. This monument, consisting of a stone niche and iron urn, marks the spot where the site of the well.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.309 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
boys, children, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Ladywell, Necropolis, wells