The concourse and destination board at St Enoch Station, 1955.
In 1953, an average of 24,650 passengers used St Enoch every day. As well as local trains, services for Ayrshire, Stranraer, Dumfries and England via the Midlands departed from the station. During the winter, St Enoch was closed on a Sunday and its traffic transferred to Central Station.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.303 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bookshops, clocks, destination boards, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, John Menzies & Co, newsagents, railway stations, St Enoch Station, station concourses