The Mitchell Library by night, 1955.
This photograph shows the imposing frontage of the library, looking noth-west along North Street. The eastern end of Berkeley Street is just visible beyond the library. A neon sign (bottom left) advertises the Rogano Bar.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.301 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
bars, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Mitchell Library, public houses, public libraries, pubs, reference libraries, Rogano Bar