A British Railways locomotive arriving at Partickhill Station, 1955.
Originally known as Partick Station, Partickhill was built by the North British Railway Co in 1887 on the north side of Dumbarton Road and was rebuilt in 1958, three years after this photograph was taken by Alf Daniel. It closed in 1979 when it was replaced by the new Partick Station on the opposite side of Dumbarton Road, where underground, rail and bus services were connected at the Partick Interchange. The Partickhill Station buildings were demolished in 1997.
Overlooking the station to the left are the Stanley Works of wholesale stationer John Thomlinson.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.300 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
British Railways, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, John Thomlinson, North British Railway Co, Partick Station, Partickhill Station, railway bridges, railway stations, Stanley Works, station platforms, stationers, wholesale, steam locomotives