The Forth and Clyde Canal at Firhill, 1955.
According to the industrial archaeologist John Hume, the bascule bridge on Firhill Road was replaced by a culvert in the late 1960s. A fixed clear headroom bridge (known as the "Nolly Brig") was built in its place in 1990. Murano Street's tenements are in the background.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.290 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of thePartick Camera Club
bascule bridges, Firhill Basin, Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, swans, tenements