Glasgow Central Station, 1955.
In 1953, an average of 55,887 passengers used Central Station every day, travelling south and west of Glasgow and to Edinburgh via Holytown or to London Euston via the west coast of England. The Royal Scot was the most famous of the London services and departed from platforms 1 and 2.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.289 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of thePartick Camera Club
Glasgow Central Station, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, newsagents, railway stations, Royal Scot, shops, station platforms