Anniesland Cross, photographed in 1955 by D H Johnston.
The block of buildings in the background is Anniesland Mansions, which was built in 1907-1913 and occupies the corner of Great Western Road and Crow Road. In 2004 Historic Scotland announced that the block was to be included on the register of listed buildings. The road junction in the foreground has been radically remodelled.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.282 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Anniesland Mansions, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Historic Scotland, listed buildings, railway bridges, streetscenes, tenements