A welder at work in Yarrow's Shipyard, 1955.
Yarrow & Co established a shipyard at Scotstoun in 1906. By the 1950s, the management realised that troubled times were ahead. In 1955 they launched a 5-year plan to modernise the yard in order to increase efficiency and remain competitive. This included developing facilities for prefabrication - workshops where 40-ton ship sections were welded together before being assembled in nearby building berths.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.280 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipyards, welders, welding, Yarrow & Co, Yarrow's Shipyard