An archway in John Street, 1955.
The archway connects the original Glasgow City Chambers (built 1882-1890) to the eastern wing which was added 1914-1923. Both the arch and the new wing were designed by Watson, Salmond & Gray.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.278 / OG.1955.121.[230
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
arches, archways, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Watson, Salmond & Gray