The view looking west along Dumbarton Road to Partick Cross and beyond, photographed by Alf Daniel in 1955.
The Kelvin House shop remains open in 2004 selling household textiles such as curtains and bedlinen. The other shops have changed hands since the 1950s and the former bank on the corner of Byres Road became a restaurant in the early 1990s.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.270 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
banks, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, haberdasheries, newsagents, restaurants, shops, streetscenes, tenements, The Kelvin House