The view looking east along Dumbarton Road towards Partick Cross, photographed by Alf Daniel in 1955.
A queue of small children has formed outside the Western Cinema, waiting for the Saturday "penny crush". The Western was a purpose-built cinema which opened in 1916. Originally called the Garrick, it was later renamed after the nearby Western Infirmary. By the 1960s the cinema was becoming run down. It closed in 1966 and was demolished in 1978.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.268 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
children, cinemas, Garrick Cinema, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, matinees, queues, shops, streetscenes, Western Cinema, women