Royal Scottish Automobile Club (RSAC) in Blythswood Square, 1955.
The RSAC was established in 1899 to promote 'automobilism' in Scotland. The club bought up houses along the eastern side of Blythswood Square until it owned the whole row, and then commissioned James Miller to remodel the whole terrace as the club headquarters. The rebuilding work was finished in 1926, leaving the RSAC with an elegant and comfortable venue where 'most of Glasgow's business community meets'.
Unfortunately, by 2001 club membership had dropped from a high of 8,000 members to only 1,200 and financial difficulties were looming. The headquarters building closed its door in 2002 and is due to be converted into luxury flats.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.266 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
automobilism, clubs, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, motor cars, Royal Scottish Automobile Club, societies