Lord Provost Andrew Hood, 1955.
Hood was born in Hawick in 1887 and worked as a journalist in Lanarkshire before moving to Partick in 1912 to become editor of the Partick Gazette. After military service during the First World War, he published a weekly paper on behalf of the Partick Independent Labour Party (ILP). In 1924 he was appointed as secretary and treasurer of the Lanarkshire branch of the Educational Institute of Scotland (EIS).
Hood became ILP councillor for Partick in 1929. He left the ILP when it split from the Labour Party in 1932 and served as a Labour councillor instead, first in Partick and later in Provan and Anderston. In 1950 he became chairman of the Corporation's Labour Group. Hood became Lord Provost on 6 May 1955, promising to try to alleviate the problems of slum housing in the city.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.265 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
chains of office, councillors, Educational Institute of Scotland, EIS, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, hats, ILP, Independent Labour Party, journalists, Labour Party, Lord Provosts, Partick Gazette, robes, socialists