Glasgow City Chambers, looking east across George Square in 1955.
The statue of the author Sir Walter Scott is perched on the tall column in the foreground. The Cenotaph, built in 1922 to commemorate the Glaswegians who died in the First World War, is located in opposite the entrance to the City Chambers (centre).
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.264 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Cenotaphs, columns, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, memorials, monuments, statues