Sunday in the Saltmarket, 1955.
The Tolbooth Steeple stands at the head of Saltmarket, behind the railway bridge. The tenements on the right were designed by the City Architect John Carrick (1819-1890) in 1880 for the City Improvement Trust, to replace slum housing. Completed in 1887, the new buildings were part of the city's first municipal housing scheme.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.261 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Belisha beacons, City Architects, City Improvement Trust, council houses, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, housing schemes, railway bridges, steeples, streetscenes, tenements, Tolbooth Steeple