View from St Enoch Station, 1955.
This magnificent photograph (taken by Paul M Cassidy from a signal box or bridge) shows station platforms in the foreground, and the railway lines which swing south-east across Stockwell Street and the Bridgegate to the City Union Railway Bridge over the River Clyde. The Fish Market, built in 1873, is on the right. It was extended in 1886 and again in 1903, surrounding the distinctive Merchants' Steeple (built 1665).
St Enoch Station opened in 1876 and permission to build extensions was granted in 1898. Six additional platforms were added, the roof extended and the City Union Railway Bridge rebuilt to carry four lines in place of the original two. The station closed in 1966 and was demolished in 1977.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.260 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Briggait, clock towers, Fish Market, fish markets, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Merchants' House, Merchants' Steeple, platforms, railway signals, railway stations, railways, St Enoch Centre, St Enoch Station, steam locomotives, trains