Glasgow Cathedral from the south-west, 1955.
In the foreground to the right is the gateway which leads to the Bridge of Sighs and the entrance to the Necropolis (visible in the background). The lodge is next to the gateway and part of the Superintendent's house is visible on the far right. A wing of Glasgow Royal Infirmary is on the far left, behind the Cathedral.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.258 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Bridge of Sighs, cemeteries, entrances, gateways, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, graveyards, infirmaries, Knox Monument, lodges, Necropolis, statues, voluntary hospitals