St Andrew's Parish Church, looking east along St Andrew's Street in 1955.
St Andrew's was built 1739-1756 by architect Allan Dreghorn (1706-1764) and master mason Mungo Naismith (fl 1750). The design of the main building is based on James Gibbs' (1682-1754) St Martin's-in-the-Fields in London. The steeple follows an unused design, also by Gibbs, for St Mary-le-Strand church.
The last service was held in the church in 1993, and in 2000 the building was repurposed as St Andrew's in the Square, a centre for Scottish music, song and dance.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.257 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
boys, Church of Scotland, churches, clocks towers, concert halls, concert venues, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, music venues, St Andrew's in the Square, St Andrew's Parish Church, steeples, streetscenes