Speirs Wharf on the Forth and Clyde Canal, photographed by Bill Tait in 1955. The canal was completed to Hamiltonhill in 1777, and extended to a new terminal basin, named Port Dundas, in 1790.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.256 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
boats, canals, Forth and Clyde Canal, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, warehouses, wharves