Crookston Castle, 1955.
This tower house was constructed by Sir Alexander Steward around 1400. It stands on the site of an earlier wooden castle built by Sir Robert Croc of Neilston in the 12th century. Much of the castle was destroyed in 1488 when it was besieged by King James IV.
The ruined building was purchased in 1757 by the Maxwells of Pollok and in 1931 Sir John Stirling Maxwell (1866-1956) presented it to the National Trust for Scotland. Crookston Castle is now in the care of Historic Scotland. In 2004 a three-year project was launched at the castle, employing professional storytellers to help bring the past to life.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.255 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
castles, Crookston Castle, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Historic Scotland, National Trust for Scotland, ruins, storytellers, tower houses