The entrance to Royal Bank Place, 1955.
This magnificent archway is the northern-most of a pair which flank the former Royal Bank of Scotland building on Royal Exchange Square. Built in the 1830s, the archways stand at the end of pedestrian passages (Royal Bank Place and Exchange Place) which connect the square to Buchanan Street. In 2004, the old bank building houses a book shop.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.253 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
arches, banks, bookshops, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Royal Bank of Scotland, streetscenes, women