The view of the north bank of the Clyde, looking north-west from the Renfrew Ferry slipway in 1955. Rothesay Dock is in the background.
The Renfrew Ferry operated between Renfrew and Yoker. Workers bound for the shipyards on the north bank of the Clyde or for Hillington Industrial Estate in the south were regulars on this busy ferry crossing.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.252 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
cranes, ferries, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Renfrew Ferry, River Clyde, rivers, ships, Yoker Ferry