Cathedral Square Church, 1955.
Known as "The Mother Antiburgher Church in Glasgow", the origins of the Cathedral Square United Presbyterian congregation lay with the congregation which walked out on the Burgher Church in Shuttle Street in 1747. The church moved in 1880 from a building in Duke Street, to a new church in Cathedral Square designed by John Honeyman (1831-1914) and built at a cost of £20,000. The congregation joined the Church of Scotland in 1929 and it became the Barony North Parish Church. In 1978 the building was acquired by the Evangelical Assembly for the Glasgow Evangelical Church.
The church is Italianate in style and the architect intended to erect towers at both corners facing Cathedral Square, but only one was built. It is unusual in Glasgow because of its rich adornment with statues: figures of Saint Peter and Saint Paul stand in niches over the doorways and the four evangelists stand on podia on the cornices.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.251 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Barony North Church, Cathedral Square United Presbyterian Church, Church of Scotland, church towers, churches, cuploas, Duke Street Anti-Burgher Church, Duke Street United Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Assembly, Glasgow Evangelical Church, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, scultures, statues, street lights