The exterior of Wellington Church in University Avenue, 1955.
Wellington Church was designed by T L Watson (c 1850-1920) and built 1882-1884 in a late Greek Revival style. The dramatic exterior has a hexastyle portico with Corinthium columns, set on a raised podium reached by flights of stairs. The church was built for a United Presbyterian congregation.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.249 / OG.1955.121.?
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Church of Scotland, churches, Corinthian columns, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, podiums, Wellington Church, Wellington United Presbyterian Church