Evening at the Govan Ferry, 1955.
This photograph looks north-west across the River Clyde, with the silhouette of Meadowside Granary looming to the right. The Govan Ferry operated between Water Row and Pointhouse. In 1955 there was a continuous 24-hour passenger service. The vehicular ferry ran Mondays to Saturdays, 6am to 10pm, but did not operate on Sundays.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.248 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
evenings, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Govan Ferry, granaries, Meadowside Granary, passenger ferries, River Clyde, vehicular ferries