The interior of Wellington Church in University Avenue, 1955.
Wellington Church was designed by T L Watson and built 1882-1884. The exterior is in a lavish Greek Revival style, while the interior has a Renaissance style. There are galleries around three sides of the church interior, with the gallery stairs at the south end and a half-domed organ recess at the north end. Two iron lattice girders run north to south, supporting three arched roof sections. The sides are covered, creating a plaster wagon roof.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.247 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Church of Scotland, churches, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, stained glass windows, Wellington Church