Prince's Dock, June 1955.
Prince's Dock opened in 1900. The large canting basin (permitting large ships to manoeuvre easily) gave access to three unloading basins, with rows of two-storey warehouse sheds for storing goods in transit. For most of its life, the dock handled vast quantities of coal for export, but by the 1950s it was mainly used for general cargos. The dock closed in the early 1970s and the unloading basins were filled in for the Glasgow Garden Festival of 1988. The Glasgow Science Centre opened on the site in 2001 and in 2004 the canting basin is the only prominent reminder of the old dock.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.246 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
canting basins, cargo ships, docks, Glasgow Harbour, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Prince's Dock, unloading basins