The Doulton Fountain in Glasgow Green, 1955.
The world's largest terracotta fountain was made for display at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1888. The manufacturers Doulton & Co presented it to the city at the end of the exhibition, and the fountain was installed on Glasgow Green in 1890.
The fountain is shown here in all its glory, surrounded by an ornate iron fence. The figure of Queen Victoria is perched on top, gazing out over Glasgow Green. In later years the fountain fell into disrepair, but restoration work began in 2003 and it is scheduled for completion by Christmas 2004.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.245 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Doulton & Co, Doulton Fountain, fountains, Glasgow Green, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, International Exhibition, 1888, parks